Detailed below are a range of resources, education, training, and support offers, designed to assist you in your role as Practice Manager/Assistant Practice Manager.
Individual Practice Manager Support
Practice Manager Advisory Team
If you are new to Practice Management, or in need of a bit of extra support we have a group of experienced Practice Managers who are able to help. Our newly formed team work across Practices in Cornwall. They can provide you with advice and guidance, or provide mentoring or coaching support, by phone, online or in person. If you are new to Cornwall, they can help you navigate the healthcare system and signpost you to relevant resources and support. To request support from a Practice Manager Advisor, please complete the form at the side of the page.
If you are an experienced Practice Manager and would like to join the Practice Manager Advisory team, please contact the Training Hub ([email protected]) for further details. Training is provided to support you in this role.
Mentoring for new Practice Managers/Assistant Practice Managers, or those new to Cornwall is available through the Practice Manager Advisory Team. You can access individual support, with an experienced Practice Manager who is able to share their knowledge and experience to help you settle into the role. To request a mentor, please complete the request form at the side of the page.
As a Practice Manager you can receive coaching through our Practice Manager Advisory Team. Those who deliver coaching are qualified coaches or working towards a recognised coaching qualification. Workplace coaching allows you to work on achieving your goals through a series of individual one to one sessions. If you would like coaching, please complete the request form at the side of the page.
For further information on coaching, or if you would like coaching externally, please visit our coaching pages for more detail.
Appraisals *** Coming Soon
Practice managers will be able to book an appraisal with one of our Practice Manager Advisory Team. The appraisal is your opportunity to discuss what has gone well, where improvements can be made and put together a development plan for the next 12 months.
Practice Manager Courses and Training
Training Hub Courses
We offer a range of courses to support you in your role, whether you are new into post, or are experienced in your role. Topics include HR, contracts, finance, leadership and resilience. We have a series of People Management Masterclasses starting from November covering:
- Managing Absence and Wellbeing
- Identifying and Managing Poor Performance
- Positive and Productive Performance Conversations
- Diversity, Inclusion and Unconscious Bias
- Best Practice Recruitment
- Conducting Effective Interviews
Please visit our courses pages for further details and to book your place
Business Focused Masterclasses ***Coming Soon
Specialist 90-minute masterclasses on key Finance Management topics. These will be delivered virtually or pre-recorded previous sessions which can be accessed via our portal. Please visit our courses pages to register your interest.
There is a range of accredited training available for you to access. Please visit the provider for further details of the course content.
- AMSPAR Level 3 and 5 in Medical Administration and Terminology
- AMSPAR Level 5 in Primary Care Health Management
- Diploma in Advanced Primary Care Management – National Association of Primary Care . A one year online masters level programme designed for individuals managing primary care locally and at scale.
- PMA GP Assistant Practice Manager – Practice Manager Association, ILM Level 3 Diploma in Leadership and Management . This is for those aspiring into a management role and those looking to move into practice management.
- PMA GP Practice Manager– Practice Manager Association, ILM Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management. This is designed for those already working in a management role.
- PMA Senior Manager – Practice Manager Association, ILM Level 7 Diploma in Leadership and Management. This is for aspiring senior managers and those who are well established in the practice management role.
- CIPD Foundation Certificate in People Management Level 3 – Cornwall College
- CIPD Foundation Certificate in People Management Level 3 – Truro College
- CIPD Associate Diploma in People Management Level 5 – Cornwall College
An alternative way of gaining a qualification is through an Apprenticeship.
The Practice Managers Association offer a range of apprenticeship qualifications, as an alternative way of gaining a formal qualification.
If you would like further information please contact [email protected].
Networking Opportunities and Collaboration
Practice Manager Conference
Kernow LMC hosts a bi-annual conference for Practice Managers which offers a day of CPD and networking for Practice Managers / Assistant Practice Managers across Cornwall. The next conference is planned for 2022.
Peer Networking/Action Learning ***Coming Soon
Peer Networking for Practice Managers delivered across ICA’s will be available later this year. These groups are an opportunity to share issues or best practice as a wider group, and build relationships across PCN’s. Dates of the groups will be made available once confirmed.
Useful Websites and Resources
The following websites contain various resources and information which may be beneficial to you in your role as Practice Manager/Assistant Practice Manager.
Excellence in Practice – a range of resources and tools through Kernow Health (both free and chargeable) to support the development of Practices
Kernow LMC have a range of knowledge-based resources specifically for Practice managers. You just need to register to access them.
CCG Primary Care commissioning pages provides information for Practices on a range of topics including finance, contracts and patient registration.
Practice Index – a free forum for Practice Managers, with a subscription service for resources, policies and protocols.
The Institute of General Practice Management (IGPM) was formed in December 2020 with the aim of being recognised as the professional body that represents all managers working within general practice in the United Kingdom.