To be responsible for the delivery of Practice Nursing Services, working as part of a team within the practice delivering care within the scope of the practice and the patient population.
The Practice Nurse will be responsible for the Chronic Disease management which is an essential part of the role as well as having knowledge of QoF, LES/DES, Immunisations and vaccines.
- Assist GP’s and other in house clinicians in delivering the management of chronic diseases as detailed on the Quality and Outcomes Framework.
- Encourage the development of integrated services within Primary Care.
- Promote your own continuing professional development.
- Participate in annual appraisals and work towards your revalidation.
Support the practice in achieving quality indicators and targets set out in the QoF, LES/DES and GMS contract.
- Experience in Chronic Disease Management or willingness to undertake training.
- Undertake opportunistic screening when clinically required.
- Perform venepuncture and electrocardiography.
- Undertake wound care/management/ dressing techniques.
- Leg ulcer management, Doppler’s and compression bandaging.
- Carry out ear examinations and syringing if necessary, following appropriate training and assessment.
- Perform cervical screening and promote breast awareness.
- Administer adult and paediatric injections under an individual prescription or PGD ensuring safe storage, rotation and disposal of vaccine and equipment.
- Provide advice on lifestyle issues and support patients in changing their unhealthy behaviours and refer appropriately.
- Participate in smoking cessation service.
- Deliver travel health care including vaccinations and advice for Patients following appropriate training if required.
- Recognise the signs of abuse in children and Adults, family violence, substance abuse, additive behaviours, and suicidal tendencies and be aware of local referral processes.
- Apply infection control measures when collecting and handling laboratory specimens; disposing of waste materials, dealing with blood and body fluids spillage and report and treat sharps injuries.
- Undertake first aid and management of emergencies eg burns asthmas attacks.
- Undertake annual training and demonstrate competency in anaphylaxis and resuscitation techniques.
Audit and Quality:
- Encourage audits and actions plans within Primary care setting.
- Help support the integration across primary and secondary care.
- Maintain a interest in national research initiatives and disseminate appropriate information to health professionals if asked to do so.
- Ensure all care is evidence based using up to date validate literature.
- Contribute to research and development programmes where required to improve clinical practice.
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk.
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision. Contribute to the effectiveness of the team buy reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance.
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
Educational and Training:
- Provide professional advice/support to health care professionals within the primary care team.
- Following identified training needs, participate in training.
- Provide mentorship to health care assistants.
- Participate in programmes of awareness raising detection and prevention of chronic diseases.
- Maintain a level of expertise in specific chronic disease management and other areas of health care and seek to develop new and improved skills.
- Seek out new knowledge of nursing and health by reading, enquiring and partaking in continuous educational programmes.
- Actively partake in multidisciplinary education and training.
- Abide by the legal requirements and statutory rules relating to practice and record and maintain periodic professional registration with RCN and NMC.
- Complete all mandatory training modules as specified by the organisation.
- Maintain communication and liaise with others across primary and secondary care services when necessary.
- Contribute to and work effectively within the primary care team.
- Maintain accurate patient records.
- Advise and support other team members of the team aiming towards common objectives.
You are responsible for limiting your actions to those, which you feel competent to undertake. If you have any doubt about your competence during the course of your duties you should immediately speak to your lead clinician in the first instance.
Registered Health Professional:
Maintain registration with the NMC/medical indemnity provided by the organisation.
It is a standard element of the role and responsibility of all staff that they fulfil a proactive role towards the management of risk in all areas of the practice. This will include risk assessments of situations, taking appropriate action and reporting all incidents, near misses and hazards.
As an employee you are legally responsible for all records that you gather, create or use as part of your work within the practice whether paper based or on the computer. All such records are considered public records and you have a legal duty of confidence to service users and staff (even if they have left the employment of the organisation) You should consult a senior manager or partners if you have any doubt as to the correct management of records with which you work.
Health and Safety:
All employees have a statutory duty of care for their own personal safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions. Employees are required to co-operate with management to enable the practice to meet its own legal duties and to report any hazardous situations or defective equipment.
All employees are required to maintain the confidentiality of the public and members of staff in accordance with the Practice policies.
The content of this job description represents an outline of the role and is therefore not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities expected from you. The job description is intended to give an overview of the role and remain flexible to meet the needs of the business and is subject to review following consultation.
Click to download more information