Malnutrition is an under recognised condition with far reaching health consequences, affecting 11% of patients in GP practices. This training educates on:
- what malnutrition is and the importance of malnutrition screening
- how to use MUST (malnutrition universal screening tool) to screen for those at risk of malnutrition. MUST has been identified by NICE (national institute of clinical excellence) as a suitable tool to screen for malnutrition
- practical first line nutrition advice you can use with patients at risk of malnutrition
- local resources available to help with first line nutrition advice
- oral nutritional supplements, when they might be appropriate to use, and which products are suggested as first and second line choices
- appropriate referral to a dietitian
The training would be suitable for patient facing roles in primary care such as practice nurses, health care assistants, pharmacists and paramedics.