This is a one-day course in ear irrigation for Healthcare Assistants/Assistant Practitioners in General Practice is designed to ensure that those Assistants who are expected to irrigate are able to do so confidently and safely.
Following the course, the student will be expected to complete a workbook and practical competencies supervised and be signed off by a suitable mentor who is up to date with their own ear care training and competencies.
The course provides knowledge and practical guidance, which, together with mentorship in situ, should enable Healthcare Assistants to fulfil their extended role.
A mentor must be identified, and approved, prior to commencement of the course. Mentors must be up to date with current practice and procedure and must meet with the HCA as soon as possible following the course to ascertain what is required of them.
If potential mentors require an update, they may attend the first part of this course. To confirm whether there is sufficient space to accommodate this, please email [email protected]
- An understanding of the basic anatomy and physiology of the ear.
- An understanding of basic ear care.
- A foundation of knowledge on which to base practical ear irrigation.
- A foundation knowledge of otoscopy.
- Accountability and documentation.
- An understanding that, during and following completion of the course, they will undertake ear irrigation within appropriately monitored and supervised conditions and within the limits of their knowledge, skill and competence.
- An understanding that, following the course, ear irrigation will continue to be undertaken in accordance with the Ear Care Guidelines
This course is funded if your Practice subscribes to the Primary Care Education Programme.
The cost of the course for NON Education Programme Members is £120 (inclusive of VAT).
This course is for staff working within the Cornwall healthcare economy. If you work outside Cornwall and are interested in this course, please email [email protected]
We are experiencing intermittent problems with course bookings. If you are having problems booking, please email [email protected] with the text below and a screen shot of any errors.
This information will be used to help us to resolve this technical issue. Please also copy your email to [email protected] so we can take your booking manually.