Due to the increasing prevalence of diabetes and the high risk of long-term health complications caused by diabetes, it is more important than ever that there be a whole team approach to diabetes care. As a health care professional whether directly or indirectly working with diabetes patients, you are likely to encounter people living with diabetes daily in your role in health care. Therefore, it is important to be well-informed on all aspects of diabetes and equipped with sufficient knowledge to better support people living with diabetes.
This course is intended for both registered and non-registered staff working in primary care. It is designed to give a foundational knowledge of diabetes for all clinicians and is set at an introductory level.
This course is delivered remotely via MS TEAMS in four parts. You must complete all parts with the exception of part 4 which is optional.
- Part 1 – Mandatory pre-work – Cambridge Diabetes Education Programme (details here)
- Part 2 – Virtual session – Clinical aspects of diabetes and annual review – Thursday 7th July, 13.30-17.00
- Part 3 – Virtual session – Developing a person-centred approach to the annual review consultation – Thursday 14th July, 13.30-17.00
- Part 4 – Diabetic foot training (optional dependent on role requirement – book separately via the Courses Page)
By the end of the training (Parts 1-3) you should be able to:
- Explain and discuss what is diabetes
- Name and identify the types of diabetes, their possible presentations and management
- Understand the importance of annual review to support self-management for people with diabetes
- Understand how annual review can help prevent complications for people with diabetes
- Understand how person-centred consultations support self-care for people with diabetes
- Work through case scenarios and apply knowledge to determine how diabetes cases might be managed in primary care.
- During simulated reviews use the 15 healthcare essentials to deliver person-centred diabetes care.
Please view the full Course Description for more information and to view the required pre-work.
Cost of Course
This course is provided free of charge to members of the Primary Care Education Programme. For non-members, a charge of £120 (including VAT) applies.
This course is for staff working within the Cornwall healthcare economy. We reserve the right to cancel any ineligible bookings. If you work outside Cornwall and are interested in this course, please email [email protected]
We are experiencing intermittent problems with course bookings. If you are having problems booking, please email [email protected] with the text below and a screen shot of any errors.
This information will be used to help us to resolve this technical issue. Please also copy your email to [email protected] so we can take your booking manually.