The “New to Practice” fellowship programme is a national programme, funded by NHS England & Improvement, that is being delivered locally by Cornwall Primary Care Training Hub. The programme first ran in 2020.
Purpose of the programme:
The fellowship aims to respond to three key areas of feedback from newly-qualified GPs and GPNs:
- The need for a supportive transition into General Practice from the GP training programme.
- Opportunities to work in a portfolio way.
- Learning wider skills for future ways of working.
Additionally, this programme supports nurses to identify general practice as a first destination career option. The programme provides funding for up to 1 session or 4 hours per week (pro rata), in order to release the GP or GPN from the employing practice, and enable them to access CPD, mentoring, and peer support in this early stage of their career.
In order to register for the scheme, the participant should be:
- A GP that has qualified in the last 12 months OR
- A Practice Nurse that has qualified in the last 12 months AND
- In, or about to commence, in a substantive role in a practice in Cornwall.
How to register
The next cohort start is October 2022, and registration is now open. Newly qualified GPs and Practice nurses that wish to register for the next cohort should complete the relevant sign up form below. GPNs are asked to complete this sign up with their employing practice. For any queries please contact us at the below email.